Thursday, May 7, 2009

HERE COMES THAT FEAR AGAIN

- Lost last night was, for the most part, one of those piece-mover sort of episodes where it's more about getting everything ready for the big blowout next time than giving pay-off in and of itself. That said, I didn't mind so much with this one both because it's the pre-season finale episode (which always tends to be like this) and because it was snappily paced with enough brain-melters (what does Alpert mean by that "watched them all die" comment?) and little asides (Sawyer talking to Juliet about how to make money, Hurley admitting to Chang that he's from the future) to make it not be a slog. The episode's other highlight (other than a wet 77-era Ellie) was certainly Locke's final statement, which opens a big new can of narrative worms. A friend who I was talking with today floated the theory that Jacob is actually Jack, which would both make sense (Jack is in the past and could potentially become a hero/leader to the Others by detonating that bomb) and provide a juicy new twist to the Jack/Locke rivalry. At any rate, the episode got me pumped for the season finale next week, which was its job.

- I have a really tough time articulating my feelings about X-Men Origins: Wolverine; overall, I'd say it was okay but that's sort of misleading because it's an average: The movie ping-pongs from really good to groan-worthy, often from scene-to-scene. The real problem, as I see it, is that while the directors/actors/writers of this thing know how to make convincing action scenes and decent comic book intrigue, they completely fail at capturing any sort of emotional resonance. That wouldn't necessarily be such a bad thing if the movie didn't dwell on "heavy" scenes and kept moving from one set-piece to another (for a good example of this, see the newest Die Hard movie which also can't summon up a father-daughter moment of any draw but tries so infrequently that it doesn't matter). But, thing is, it doesn't move on, it keeps hammering dramatic flat notes. Wolverine's (not really) dead girlfriend is only mildly annoying, and sorta necessary to the film's plot, but by the time they introduce a young Cyclops tortured by his powers and Silverfox's imprisoned sister, I was throwing up my hands. It's sort of a shame that so many cheeseball elements (the "NOOOOOOOO!!!" scream over a dead loved one, the showdown at a nuclear reactor) thrown in here because there are some parts which I enjoyed. The early scenes where Logan is with Team X are fun and provide the best action in the movie, there's a pretty damn good boxing match between The Blob and Wolverine and I'll admit that I nerded out for Gambit (who was underused, though Taylor Kitsch's performance seemed a bit unsure of where to go with the character). There were also bits of comic relief, usually one-liners, that worked (but only sort of point out how overly serious the movie is otherwise; if this is the trend that The Dark Knight is starting, then I may have to reconsider how much I like that movie) and Ryan Reynolds (who works his smug asshole shtick to good effect as Wade Wilson/Deadpool) and Liev Schriber (who sneers convincingly as Sabretooth) deserve gold stars for their efforts. Also, as much flack as Hugh Jackman gets for being very much a "star" (as opposed to an "actor"), I think that he owns Wolverine as a character and this movie did nothing to dissuade me thinking that (though he could have kept his shirt on more). There were some bad choices in terms of casting too, though. I dunno if it was an intentional decision to have two of the people on Team X be from Lost but it was really distracting and Will.i.am's performance was just as bad as you would expect. In terms of action, I am very glad that, for the most part, the film didn't fall victim to fast-cut, jerky-cam syndrome (the bit where Deadpool walks into the drug lord's office spinning his swords is particularly great, mostly because it's done with a minimum of cuts) but a lot of the CGI looked real cheap (the final battle atop the reactor, especially). In the end, it's better than the last X-Men movie (not that that's saying a whole lot) but I feel like it's one of those things that I'll be entirely comfortable never seeing again. It had enough action to get me through and the promise of Gambit and Deadpool-related spinoffs is almost enough to convince me of Wolverine's worth by itself. But, considering that last summer movie season started off with the compulsively re-watchable Iron Man and that the best movie in this series (X2) is a movie I've seen probably 20 times, at least, that's kinda disappointing. Here's hoping that my other two big anticipations for this summer (Terminator: Salvation and Star Trek) don't leave me quite so cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment